If you have recently moved into a new address, or changed address, within East Cambridgeshire, or you have become otherwise eligible to vote, you will need to register.
If you are unsure whether you are on the electoral register or not, please contact Customer Services on 01353 665555 and they will be able to check for you.
How to Register
To register please do one of the following:
- apply online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote, you will need to know your National Insurance number and date of birth to complete this application.
- contact Customer Services on 01353 665555 and they can apply online for you - you will need to know your National Insurance number and date of birth to complete this application.
- contact the Elections office on 01353 665555 to request a form, which will be sent to you to fill in and return.
Please note: Registration is on an individual basis, so you can only register yourself. Anyone else will have to apply on their own behalf.
To be eligible to be registered you must meet the following criteria:
- you are 16 or over (but you cannot vote until your 18th birthday) AND
- you are a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen (i.e. you have leave to enter or remain in the UK or don't require leave to enter or to remain in the UK) permanently living in the UK, OR
- other European citizens permanently living in the UK can register to vote at local government elections and Police and Crime Commissioner elections and the Combined Authority Mayoral election but not at UK Parliamentary elections.
For more information visit www.gov.uk/register-to-vote,
Opting Out of the Public Version of the Electoral Register
When registering you have the option of 'opting out' of the open register. This is the version of the register that is open for the public to see and can be sold to anyone.
Voting by Post or by Using a Proxy
If you wish to vote by post or by using a Proxy to vote for you, please indicate this when you apply for registration.
An additional application form will be sent to you to complete and return.
N.B. If you have changed address then your postal or proxy vote will have been automatically cancelled, so you will need to re-apply.
Only the full register, not the open version is used by credit reference agencies. They can sell the register to other organisations but not the full version.