Income Support


Income Support can help you cover your costs if you’re on a low income. 

You can only apply for Income Support if you either: 

  • get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it  

  • got or were entitled to the severe disability premium in the last month, and are still eligible for it  

If you cannot apply for Income Support you can apply for Universal Credit instead. 

All of the following must also apply to you (and your partner if you have one): 

  • you have no income or a low income, and no more than £16,000 in savings   

  • you’re not in full-time paid work (you can work less than 16 hours a week, and your partner can work less than 24 hours a week) 

  • you’re not eligible for Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance 

  • you live in England, Scotland or Wales - there are different rules for Northern Ireland 

You must also be between 16 and Pension Credit qualifying age, and at least one of the following: 

  • pregnant 

  • a lone parent (including a lone adoptive parent) with a child under 5 

  • a lone foster parent with a child under 16  

  • a single person looking after a child under 16 before they’re adopted 

  • a carer 

  • on maternity, paternity or parental leave 

  • unable to work and you receive Statutory Sick Pay, Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance 

  • in full-time education (not university), aged between 16 and 20, and a parent 

  • in full-time education (not university), aged between 16 and 20, and not living with a parent or someone acting as a parent 

  • a refugee learning English - your course needs to be at least 15 hours a week, and you must have started it within 12 months of entering the UK 

  • in custody or due to attend court or a tribunal  

You do not need a permanent address - for example, you can still claim if you: 

  • sleep rough 

  • live in a hostel or care home 

See also: 

For further information on income support, see GOV.UK's website.