Check your Income Tax for the Current Year
This service covers the current tax year (6 April 2019 to 5 April 2020). Use the service to:
- check your tax code and Personal Allowance
- see if your tax code has changed
- tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about changes that affect your tax code
- update your employer or pension provider details
- see an estimate of how much tax you’ll pay over the whole tax year
- check and change the estimates of how much income you’ll get from your jobs, pensions or bank and building society savings interest
Before you Start
To check your Income Tax, you will need to sign into your personal tax account using your Government Gateway user ID and password.
If you do not have a personal tax account
You need a Government Gateway user ID and password to set up a personal tax account. If you do not already have a user ID you can create one when you sign in for the first time.
You'll need your National Insurance number or postcode and 2 of the following:
- a valid UK passport
- a UK photocard driving licence issued by the DVLA (or DVA in Northern Ireland)
- a payslip from the last 3 months or a P60 from your employer for the last tax year
- details of a tax credit claim if you made one
- details from a Self Assessment tax return (in the last 2 years) if you made one
- information held on your credit record if you have one (such as loans, credit cards or mortgages
If you cannot create a personal tax account
Contact HMRC for advice if you cannot create a personal tax account.
You can also estimate how much Income Tax you should pay this year without signing in.