Skin piercing registration (including micro-blading)

Acupuncture, cosmetic piercing, electrolysis, semi-permanent skin-colouring and tattooing  

Registration is required, under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, for permission to undertake the practice of acupuncture or the business of cosmetic piercing, electrolysis, semi-permanent skin-colouring (such as micro-blading) and tattooing. The council has bylaws that must be followed.  

The premises must be registered and every person carrying on the piercing must be registered.  

The charge for registration is £190 for the person and £190 for the premises. 

Registration does not allow mobile skin piercers. You must be registered at premises. 

Please contact us before making an application so that we can talk with you before you spend money on the application, equipment or premises. 

Note: It is an offence to operate as a skin piercer without a valid registration or, in non-compliance with any bylaws attached to any registration issued. 


In order to process your application, premises will be inspected. The applicant must demonstrate compliance with the bylaws (PDF).  This council may make contact with other enforcement authorities in areas where the applicant has practised or is practising. 

Application forms  

If you are already registered with East Cambridgeshire District Council as a skin piercer and you want to move from one registered premises to another registered premises in the district, there is a transfer fee of £11.00. 

The registration of premises is not transferable. If you want to practice skin piercing at a different address that is not registered for skin piercing, then the full fee of £190 is payable to register the premises. This is in addition to the transfer of the person registration of £11.00. 

It is in the public interest that East Cambridgeshire District Council must process your application before it can be authorised. If you have not received a response to your application within a reasonable period or you require further information, please contact Environmental Health (external link)

You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service (external link) or use the contact details below:

Commercial Team, Environmental Services, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4EE 
Tel: 01353 665555 

If you are an applicant or a third party, you should always contact us in the first instance if you have any queries, concerns or cause for complaint preferably in the form of a letter with proof of delivery.  If you are not satisfied with the outcome and are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service (external link) will give you advice.  If you are from outside the UK, please contact the UK European Consumer Centre (external link).

Link to EUGI website (external link)Link to GOV.UK website (external link)