Grants, adaptations and repairs

Does the council provide financial help for disabled adaptions and/or housing repairs and how much could I receive?

The East Cambridgeshire District Council is able to offer assistance for Mandatory Disabled Adaptations up to a maximum of £30,000. You would be subject to a test of resources. Some people receive a grant to pay for the full cost of the adaptation, but others do have to make a contribution towards the cost of the works. The level of contribution depends on your income and savings.

Find out of you qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant by completing our online preliminary test of resources form (external link). The results will only be sent to the email address you provide.

The council may also be able to help you if you are not disabled but are within a vulnerable or lower income group in need of assistance in maintaining or improving your own home. In the first instance you are advised to read the housing adaptations and repairs policy (PDF), which explains how the local authority supports local people to help provide wide ranging assistance for housing renewal. Depending on the level of work needed and your individual financial circumstances this assistance may be in the form of a grant. If you are over 60 or on a low income then please contact Care and Repair for further information as to what may be available. 

If you have a general enquiry or are elderly or disabled, in the first instance, contact Care and Repair, who work on behalf of East Cambridgeshire District Council.

If I qualify for a grant does the council employ the builders?

No, the builders work is a contract between yourself and the builder.

For the grant to be approved the council will require at least two estimates. The amount of grant approved will be based on the cheapest estimate.

If I do not qualify for a grant can I get help to choose a builder?

You may obtain a builders list from Care and Repair if required. These builders are not recommended but have carried out work for Care and Repair before.

If you need someone to oversee the work, Care and Repair can provide this service for a fee.