Child tax credits

Child Tax Credit has been replaced by Universal Credit for most people. You can only make a new claim for Child Tax Credit if you:

  • get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it 

  • got or were entitled to the severe disability premium in the last month, and you’re still eligible for it 

If your child is 16, you can claim up until 31 August after their 16th birthday. If they are in approved education or training, you can claim until their 20th birthday. 
If you cannot make a new claim for Child Tax Credit, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit (or Pension Credit if you and your partner are State Pension age or over). 

What you will get 

The amount you can get depends on how many children you have got and whether you are: 

Child Tax Credit will not affect your Child Benefit. 

You can only claim Child Tax Credit for children you are responsible for