If you are being disturbed by a nuisance you should first try to approach the person or company causing you a problem. They may not realise you are being affected by their activities.

If this offers no improvement and you are a resident within the district of East Cambridgeshire, you can report the nuisance to us using the links below, and we will discuss with you whether it is within the council's remit. The council has a duty to deal with Statutory Nuisances under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.  This includes nuisances such as noise (music, barking dogs or domestic noise), odour and light. 

You will initially be asked to fill in a set of diary sheets detailing the specific times and days the nuisance is affecting you. 

On return of the diary sheets, officers can assess if further action is necessary and they will advise you accordingly.

It may be that an informal word from the council solves the problem, or it may be that further investigation and monitoring will be required.

If the council believes that a statutory nuisance exists, we can serve an abatement notice, which if breached may result in formal action being taken. 

If the council has investigated and cannot take any action, you can take your own action under Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, taking your own action - advice for complainants (PDF).

Report a nuisance:

Or alternatively contact us as 01353 665555 or

The Noise App

We now have a recording system called The Noise App which will allow you to record the nuisance noise on your mobile device and send it straight to the council, who can then listen to the sound and decide what action is necessary. The App can be used in much the same way as existing diary sheets, to record the frequency date and time of events. The Noise App is free to download and easy to use. 

Find out more about how to use The Noise App to help with your complaint