Innovator Visas

Innovator Visa

You can apply for an Innovator visa if:
You must have at least £50,000 in investment funds if you want to set up a new business. You do not need funds if your business is already established and has been endorsed for an earlier visa.

Getting endorsed

You must be able to show that your business idea is:
  • a new idea - you cannot join or invest in a business that is already trading
  • viable, with potential for growth
Read the endorsing bodies list - you should only approach ones that are suitable for your business idea.

How long it takes to get a visa

The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
You can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 June.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.


How much you pay for an Innovator visa depends on your situation and where you apply from.
Who you are applying for - You
Apply (outside the UK) - £1,021
Extend or switch (in the UK) - £1,277
Who you are applying for - You (if you are from Turkey or Macedonia)
Apply (outside the UK) - £966
Extend or switch (in the UK) - £1,222
Who you are applying for - All dependants
Apply (outside the UK) - £1,021 each person
Extend or switch (in the UK) - £1,277 each person

Healthcare surcharge

You will also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you will have to pay before you apply.

If you are applying to extend or switch in the UK

You will need to pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken.

How long you can stay

You can stay for 3 years if you:
  • come to the UK on an Innovator visa
  • switch to this visa from another visa
You can apply to extend for another 3 years when your visa is due to expire. There is no limit on the number of times you can extend.
You may be able to apply for settlement (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) once you have been in the UK for 3 years.

If your endorsement is withdrawn

Your visa may be cut short if your endorsement is withdrawn. If you want to stay longer, you must re-apply with a new endorsement before your current visa expires.

What you can and cannot do

You can:
  • set up a business or several businesses
  • work for your business - this includes being employed as a director, or self-employed as a member of a business partnership
  • bring family members with you
You cannot:
  • do any work outside your business, for example work where you are employed by another business
  • work as a doctor or dentist in training
  • work as a professional sportsperson, for example a sports coach
  • get public funds
See Also:
For Further Information: