The native UK tick tends to live in places with damp vegetation and lots of small animals and birds they can feed on.
Ticks can be found in woodland, moors and even parks and gardens all over the UK. Some imported ticks from Europe can survive in houses.
Some ticks carry Lyme disease and they can inject the bacteria into you when they take a meal of blood.
- Keep your arms and legs covered when walking in woodland and similar places
- Try not to brush against vegetation
- Wear light clothing: ticks are easier to spot
- Check each others' skin for ticks after a walk: tick bites are painless and can go unnoticed
- Use insect repellent containing DEET or Picaridine
- Buy a tick remover
For more information on ticks and Lyme disease download a leaflet (external link PDF).