You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if you:
- are a Commonwealth citizen
- are applying from outside the UK
- are able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK
- are able and planning to work in the UK
- meet the other eligibility requirements
How long it will take
The earliest you can apply is three months before you travel.
You can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 June.
You should get a decision on your visa within three weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
Your UK Ancestry visa will cost £516.
You may also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you will have to pay before you apply.
Get a faster decision on your application
If you are applying to extend in the UK you can pay an extra £800 for the super priority service. You will get a decision:
- by the end of the next working day after providing your biometric information if your appointment is on a weekday
- two working days after providing your biometric information if your appointment is at the weekend
Once you have got your decision letter, your biometric residence permit will take up to 10 working days to arrive.
Working days are Monday to Friday, not including bank holidays.
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for 5 years on this visa.
You can apply to extend your visa.
You can also apply to settle in the UK permanently.
What you can and cannot do
- bring family members
- change (switch) into this visa if you’re already in the UK on another visa
- get public funds
For further information: