Minister of Religion Visa (Tier 2)
You can apply for a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa if:
- you have been offered a job within a faith community (for example as a minister of religion, missionary, or member of a religious order) in the UK
- you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
You need to be employed by a licensed sponsor to apply to live in the UK.
Your sponsor checks that you can do the job they are hiring you for and if it qualifies you for a visa. They will assign you a certificate of sponsorship to prove this.
They must also give you other information you need when you apply, for example how much you will be paid.
How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you are due to start work in the UK. This date is listed on your certificate of sponsorship.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
How much you pay for a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa depends on where you are.
Who you are applying for - You
Apply outside the UK - £610
Extend or switch in the UK - £704
Who you are applying for - You - as a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia
Apply outside the UK - £555
Extend or switch in the UK - £649
Who you are applying for - All dependants
Apply outside the UK - £610 each person
Extend or switch in the UK - £704 each person
You will also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you will have to pay before you apply.
If you are applying to extend or switch in the UK
You will need to pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken.
Get a faster decision on your application
If you are applying to extend or switch in the UK you can pay an extra £500 for the priority service to get a decision within 5 working days.
You can pay an extra £800 for the super priority service to get a decision:
- by the end of the next working day after providing your biometric information if your appointment is on a weekday
- 2 working days after providing your biometric information if your appointment is at the weekend
Working days are Monday to Friday, not including bank holidays.
Once you have got your decision letter, your biometric residence permit will take up to 10 working days to arrive.
How long you can stay
You can come to the UK with a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa for a maximum of up to 3 years and 1 month, or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 1 month, whichever is shorter.
You can apply to extend your stay.
You must apply before your visa expires.
You can start your stay up to 14 days before the start date on your certificate of sponsorship.
Your start date is 15 July - the earliest you can start your stay is 1 July.
What you can and cannot do
- work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
- do a second job - in certain circumstances
- do voluntary work
- study as long as it does not interfere with the job you are sponsored for
- travel abroad and return to the UK
- bring family members (‘dependants’) with you
- own more than 10% of your sponsor’s shares (unless you earn more than £159,600 a year)
- get public funds
For Further Information: