Voter Authority Certificate (VAC)

You can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate, if: 

  • You don't have an accepted form of photo ID  
  • You are not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you 
  • You are worried about using an existing form of ID for any other reason, such as the use of a gender marker 

You need to register to vote (external link) before applying for a Voter Authority Certificate.  

You can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate a few different ways:   

  • Online via the Government's GOV.UK Portal (external link)  
  • Completing a paper application (PDF) with a colour photo enclosed by post sent to the Electoral Services Department at the Council  
  • In person at the Council offices, bringing the necessary documents including a passport style colour photo  

You can request the instructions in large print, braille or easy read.

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request an application form, the Electoral Commission helpline is 0800 328 0280. Alternatively, you can contact the Electoral Services Department on 01353 665555.