You can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate, if:
- You don't have an accepted form of photo ID
- You are not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you
- You are worried about using an existing form of ID for any other reason, such as the use of a gender marker
You need to register to vote before applying for a Voter Authority Certificate.
You can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate a few different ways:
- Online via the Government's GOV.UK Portal
- Completing a paper application with a colour photo enclosed by post sent to the Electoral Services Department at the Council
- In person at the Council offices, bringing the necessary documents including a passport style colour photo
You can request the instructions in large print, braille or easy read.
If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request an application form, the Electoral Commission helpline is 0800 328 0280. Alternatively, you can contact the Electoral Services Department on 01353 665555.