Permitted Paid Engagement Visa

You may be able to get a Permitted Paid Engagement visa if you have been invited to the UK as an expert in your profession. 

You can apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement visa if you: 
  • are invited by a UK-based organisation or client 
  • want to come to the UK to do specific paid work without having to be sponsored under the points-based visa system 
  • are from a country that is not in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland 
  • meet the other eligibility requirements 

You may not need to apply for a visa if you are from a certain country - check if you need this visa before you apply. 

How long it will take  

The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.   


You can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 June.  

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.  


A Permitted Paid Engagement visa costs £95. 

How long you can stay 

You can stay in the UK for up to 1 month. 

What you can and cannot do 

You can be invited by a UK-based organisation or client to:

  • be a student examiner or assessor

  • take part in selection panels as a highly qualified academic if you’re invited by an education, arts or research organisation

  • give lectures at a higher education institution, as long as it’s not a part-time or full-time role

  • examine UK-based pilots so they meet the standards of the country you come from if you are invited by an approved UK training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority

  • provide advocacy in a particular area of law

  • take part in arts, entertainment or sporting activities including broadcasting

  • take part in fashion modelling assignments

You can also do minor activities related to your work or business overseas, such as attend meetings.

You cannot:

  • do specific paid work unrelated to your main job or area of expertise at home or sell merchandise, other than what’s allowed by your visa

  • extend this visa or switch to another visa

  • live in the UK for extended periods

  • get public funds

  • study for more than 30 days - studying cannot be the main reason for your visit

  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership

  • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately

See Also:
For Further Information on Permitted Paid Engagement Visa's see GOV.UK.