Contract: Term of Office: 4 years Salary Range: £1,000 per annum (plus incurred expenses)
Hours: You will be required to be contactable at all times during normal working hours by telephone or by email and to be available to attending hearings which may be held in the day time. You will normally be given at least 28 days notice of any hearings, but the notice period may be shorter in cases of urgency, if, for example, a hearing has been adjourned for any reason and your attendance is required. Closing Date: 1 October 2021
The Authority was established in March 2017 as a result of powers being devolved to it by Central Government most particularly in regard to securing major developments and improvements in respect of Transport, Housing, Education and Skills across the region with a vision to make Cambridgeshire and Peterborough the leading place in the world to learn, live and work.
To assist the Combined Authority in promoting high standards of conduct by elected, appointed and co‐opted members of the Authority and in particular to uphold the Code of Conduct adopted by the Combined Authority and the seven principles of public office, namely selflessness, honesty, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness and leadership. The Independent Person will be consulted on the decision to investigate complaints and before a decision is made on an investigated complaint. The Independent Person may be consulted on other standards matters, including by the member who is subject to an allegation.
- To be consulted and to give views in accordance with the constitution of the Combined Authority.
- To be available for consultation before a decision is taken as to whether to investigate a complaint or to seek local resolution of the same.
- To be available for consultation by any member who is the subject of a standards complaint.
- To develop a sound understanding of the ethical framework as it operates within the Combined Authority.
- To participate in training events to develop skills, knowledge and experience and in networks developed for Independent Persons operating outside the Combined Authority’s area.
- To attend training events organised and promoted by the Authority’s relevant Committees.
- To act as advocate and ambassador for the Combined Authority in promoting ethical behaviour.
- To participate as an Independent Person in any Disciplinary Panel set up to make recommendations on any disciplinary actions in respect of a Chief Officer as defined in Chapter 18 of the Combined Authority’s Standing Orders.
Behaviours, Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Personal integrity and honesty
- A keen interest and commitment to maintaining high standards in public life.
- A wish to serve the local community and uphold local democracy
- An interest in and awareness of the functions of local government relating to ethical governance, in particular the role of elected Members and the relevant Codes of Conduct.
- Independence, impartiality and experience of exercising sound objective judgements in relation to complex matters
- Excellent questioning, analytical and evaluation skills in order to advise whether a breach of the Code of Conduct or complaint should be investigated.
- A commitment to promoting equality and an awareness of the issues affecting the communities of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- Excellent communication skills in particular the ability to provide clear rationale for advice and to explain decision making when required.
- Experience of dealing with private and sensitive issues, exercising discretion and maintaining confidentiality of information received.
- Flexibility to deal with urgent requests.
- Aged 18 or over and with a mature and sound temperament
Exclusions – The Independent Person will not be:-
- A Member, co-opted member or employee of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority or any of the constituent councils; or have held such a post within the previous 5 years.
- A relative or close friend of such a person; or
- A member of a political party
For further information or for an informal discussion about the role please contact Sabina Mahmood HR Business Partner or Martin Jaynes HR Manager email email@example.com
Please submit CVs with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org