Do I need planning permission?

Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission; these rights are called Permitted Development Rights (PD rights). In certain circumstances, your property may have had its PD rights removed; this could be for the following reasons:

  • An Article 4 Direction (most commonly found in conservation area)
  • A condition when permission was originally granted that restricts certain types of alterations or extensions
  • The property is a commercial unit or a flat
  • The property is in a conservation area or is a listed building

You can check the most common types of works on the Planning Portal's Interactive house below: