Youth Climate Action facts and links
Did you know?
- 50% of all food thrown away comes from our homes
- 235 million items of clothing were sent to the landfill last year!
- Over 75% of waste is recyclable but we only recycle around 30%
- 1 ton less paper saves 17 trees, 380 gallons of oil, 6953 gallons of water, 587 pounds of air pollution, 4,077 kilowatt hours of energy and 3.08 cubic yards of landfill space.
- The top 5 foods that are wasted in our homes a year include 350,000 tonnes of standard bread, 320,000 tonnes of fresh potatoes, 290,000 tonnes of milk, 270,000 tonnes of meals and 230,000 tonnes of carbonated soft drinks.
Links and information