Apply to bankrupt someone who owes you money

You have to present a bankruptcy petition to a court if you want to bankrupt someone because they owe you money. There are other ways to recover money you are owed (external link).

A bankruptcy petition is an application to the court for someone’s assets to be taken and sold to pay their debts. Presenting a petition can be complicated. Most people use a solicitor or other professional (external link) to help them.

Using a mediation service (external link)could be quicker and cheaper. Mediation is when an impartial person helps two sides work out an agreement.

You can contact the Insolvency Service (external link) if you have questions about making someone bankrupt.

How to Present a Petition