How tax credits affect other benefits

Child Benefit payments are not affected by any tax credits you get, but other benefits like Housing Benefit are.   

If you get tax credits, you may get less:  

  • Housing Benefit  

  • Income Support  

  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance  

  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance  

  • Pension Credit   

You cannot get tax credits at the same time as claiming Tax-Free Childcare. 

Universal Credit 

Your tax credits will end if: 

  • you or your partner make a claim for Universal Credit (even if your claim is not approved)   

  • you move in with a partner who has made a claim for Universal Credit   

After your tax credits stop, you can only make a new claim for tax credits if you get the severe disability premium or got it in the past month and are still eligible for it.   

You may be able to apply for either of the following instead:  

Other help you might qualify for 

If you get tax credits you might also get help with: 

  • prescriptions and other health-related costs (you can check if you qualify

  • vitamins, milk and food if you’re pregnant or have a child under 4 

  • maternity costs - you may get a £500 payment (called a ‘Sure Start Maternity Grant’) 

  • school costs, including school meals, uniforms, transport and trips 

  • funeral costs 

  • court fees, legal costs and prison visits 

  • home repairs from your council 

  • heating and energy costs 

You may need to prove you get tax credits to receive extra help. 

You can show your Tax Credits award notice as proof. If your tax credits are automatically renewed, you can show your TC 603 R form instead. 

Call HM Revenue and Customs if you do not have either of these documents.  

How other benefits affect your tax credits 

Whether you qualify for tax credits and how much you get depends on your income. Some benefits, including some foreign benefits, count as income

Disability benefits 

If you or your child get disability benefits you may get extra tax credits.  

Find out what benefits you could get and how to claim.