Gambling premises licence

You will need a premises licence under the Gambling Act 2005 if you are planning to operate a: 

• casino  
• betting shop  
• bingo hall   
• adult gaming centre 
• family entertainment centre 
• betting (track) 

If you intend to operate one of the above premises, you will also require an operator licence and key employees will also require a personal licence. Operator licences and personal licences are issued by the Gambling Commission. You can read more about gambling licences issued under the Gambling Act 2005 on the Gambling Commission website (external link) 

Online applications for a gambling premises licence  

Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to apply for premises licences under the Gambling Act 2005 online. However, we are happy to accept signed PDF copies via email.

Postal application forms and notices 

New applications 

Variation applications 

Transfer applications 

Reinstatement applications 

Completed paper forms should be returned with the statutory fee (PDF) to: 

The Licensing Department, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4EE. 

Before completing your application, your attention is drawn to our privacy and data retention policy (PDF)

Applicants are also required to supply a copy of their application to the relevant Responsible Authorities (PDF) according to the type of application being submitted: 

Application typeResponsible Authority to be consulted
New Premises LicenceAll
Premises Licence VariationAll
Transfer of a Premises LicenceGambling Commission, Police, Child Protection, Customs and Excise
Reinstatement of a Premises LicenceGambling Commission, Police, Child Protection, Customs and Excise

Advertising of application 

For new applications, variation applications it is necessary to advertise the application by placing a notice on the premises for a period of 28 days commencing the day the applications is given. It is also a requirement for a notice with the same information to be displayed in a local newspaper on one occasion within the period of 10 working days commencing the day after the day the application was given.

Public Notice templates 

What happens next? 

It is in the public interest that East Cambridgeshire District Council must process your application before it can be authorised. If you have not received a response to your application within a reasonable period, please contact us using the details below.

Telephone: 01353 665555