Apply to settle in the UK if your partner dies
You may be eligible to apply for settlement (indefinite leave to remain in the UK) if your partner has died. Your partner must have either:
- been a British citizen
- had indefinite leave to remain in the UK
Your permission to be in the UK must have been based on being their partner. A ‘partner’ is one of the following:
- your spouse (husband or wife)
- your civil partner
- someone you were living with in a relationship that is like a marriage or civil partnership
When to Apply
You can apply any time after your partner’s death. You do not have to wait until your current visa expires.
You must be in the UK when you apply.
The application fee is £2,389.
You also need to pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken.
If you have family members applying for settlement with you, you will need to pay the £2,389 application fee and the £19.20 biometric information fee for each person.
How long you can stay
Getting indefinite leave to remain means you can continue to live and work in the UK for as long as you like. It will also mean you are eligible:
- to work in any job
- to run a business
- for public services, such as healthcare and schools
- for public funds and pensions
- for British citizenship, if you meet the requirements
For Further Information: