Payment Exception Service

The Payment Exception Service is a way for people who do not have a bank account to collect benefit or pension payments. They’re only available in very limited circumstances. Payment Exception has replaced Simple Payment. 

Contact the office that pays your benefit if you used Simple Payment and have not received a letter about moving to the new service. 

How to get your money 

You may be sent a payment card. You can use this to collect your payment from any PayPoint outlet (external link) that offers the Payment Exception Service. 

If you do not have a card you’ll be sent either: 

  • a voucher by email 
  • a text message with a unique reference number 

To collect a payment, show your card, voucher or text message at the PayPoint outlet. You can find PayPoint outlets in your local newsagents, convenience store or supermarket. 

Find a Payment Exception Service point near you 

You must claim your payment within 30 days of it being sent to you. 

How much money you can collect 

There’s a limit of £100 for each payment collection you make. You may have to make more than one collection at a time to get the full amount you’re owed. 

Proving your identity 

You’ll need to show one original document as proof of your identity - copies will not be accepted.  

For example you could use a:  

  • valid UK photo or paper driving licence  
  • current passport 
  • current gas, electricity, water or land line phone bill (less than 3 months old) 
  • council tax bill 
  • tenancy agreement 

Getting someone else to collect your money 

If you want someone to collect your money for you, they’ll need: 

  • your payment card or voucher 
  • your proof of identity 
  • their proof of identity 

If someone cannot manage their own affairs  

You can apply to become an appointee (external link) for someone if they cannot manage their own affairs. You’ll get a payment card to use on their behalf, and will be responsible for reporting any change of circumstance. 

If you lose your payment card or it’s damaged 

Contact the office that pays your benefit or pension. Your card will be blocked and you’ll be sent a new one. 

You’ll also be sent a voucher by email or text message to make sure you do not miss out on any payments. 

In an emergency, you may be able to get a reference number by telephone to get immediate access to your payment. Contact the office that pays your benefit or pension to find out more. 

If you need help 

If you need help using the service or want to make a complaint, contact the office that pays your benefit or pension.