Get help if you are a victim of crime abroad

If you are the victim of crime abroad you can get help from the nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate or the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London. 
Foreign and Commonwealth Office 
Telephone: 0207 008 1500 
In most countries, you must report the crime before you leave the country if you want it to be investigated. You might need to report the crime to make a claim on your travel insurance. 
You must report a lost or stolen passport as soon as possible. 

How the embassy, high commission or consulate can help 

You can get help to: 
  • understand local police and legal procedures 
  • find an English-speaking lawyer or translator 
  • find medical treatment or an English-speaking doctor 
  • contact your relatives and friends to let them know something has happened to you 
They will not be able to: 
  • give you legal advice 
  • collect evidence or investigate crimes 
  • influence the outcome of any trial 
  • give you financial help, for example for travel costs to a trial abroad or to replace stolen property 
  • accept any lost or recovered stolen property, except for passports (which are cancelled and returned to HM Passport Office) and driving licences (which are returned to DVLA) 

Get further help 

You can get more information on what to do in case of: