Apply to Stay in the UK as a Stateless Person

You can apply to stay in the UK as a stateless person if both of the following apply: 

  • You are not recognised as a citizen of any country 
  • You are unable to live permanently in any other country 
You must currently be in the UK to apply. If you cannot return to another country because you fear persecution there, you should claim asylum (external link) first.If you have already claimed asylum or have an outstanding human rights claim, you must wait until you have a decision. You can apply to stay as a stateless person if it is refused.

How Long you can Stay

You can normally stay in the UK for five years if you are given permission to stay (known as ‘leave to remain’). You can apply for settlement or further leave when your leave expires.

Family Members

You must include your partner and children under 18 (your ‘dependants’) in your application if they are already in the UK with you.If they are outside the UK, they can apply for permission to come to the UK (‘entry clearance’) once your application has been approved.

Documents you Must Provide

You must provide these documents, if you have them, for you and your dependants: 
  • current passports and other travel documents, such as visas 
  • official letters confirming your immigration status (with the reference number ASL.2150, ASL.2151 or ASL.2152) 
  • birth certificates 
  • marriage certificates 
You will also need to provide as many documents as you can to prove that you are stateless. You should also provide documents for your dependants if they are stateless.
These can include: 
  • identity, immigration and travel documents 
  • documents that prove where you lived before coming to the UK, for example school certificates, medical records or sworn statements from neighbours 
  • documents from your applications for citizenship or requests for proof of nationality in other countries 
If you think you have the right to live in a country that is not the UK, you will also need to show you have tried to get nationality of that country. 
Read the application form for a full list of documents you can provide.  


You must apply online (external link).It does not cost anything to apply.You will be asked to make an appointment at a Service and Support Centre (external link) to provide your biometric information (your fingerprints and a photo) and have your supporting documents checked. 

Claiming Support 

You may be able to get housing and money to support you (external link) and your family while you are waiting to find out if you will be given leave to remain. 

Appeal if your Application is Refused 

You can ask for an administrative review (external link) if you are not given leave to remain.