Street Trading Consent

East Cambridgeshire District Council's intention is to create a street trading environment which compliments the area of trading, is sensitive to the needs of residents and nearby businesses, and which promotes consumer choice and community values, whilst ensuring the safety of the public and the prevention of nuisance.

You will need a Street Trading Consent if you are planning to sell or offer for sale any goods or articles on a street within the council's defined area.

A street is defined by the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 as any road, footway, beach or other area to which the public have access without payment; and a service area as defined in section 329 of the M1 Highways Act 1980, and also includes any part of a street.

"Other areas" within this definition include but are not limited to open spaces, greens, parks, fields, car-parks, business/retail parks, pedestrianised precincts, and land sharing a border with domestic properties.

East Cambridgeshire District Council has designated all "streets" (as defined by the 1982 Act) in the district Consent Streets except the A10, A11, and A14 trunk roads which have been designated as Prohibited Streets for safety reasons. Trading from a Prohibited Street at any time is considered an offence.

If you wish to trade or hold an event where goods or articles will be sold or offered for sale on a street, as defined by the 1982 Act, you will need to apply for Consent, unless your activity falls within the scope of one of the exemptions below.

To apply for Consent you must have a right to work in the UK. Proof of this right will need to be supplied with a completed application form, suitable documents can be found below:

Exemptions from the need to obtain Consent

There are several exemptions from the definition of what constitutes street trading. These include:

  • trading by a person acting as a pedlar under the authority of a pedlar’s certificate
  • anything done in a market or fair the right to hold which was acquired by virtue of a grant (including a presumed grant) or acquired or established by virtue of an enactment or order
  • trading in a trunk road picnic area provided by the Secretary of State under section 112 of the M3 Highways Act 1980
  • trading as a news vendor
  • trading which is carried on at premises used as a petrol filling station
  • trading which is carried on at premises used as a shop or in a street adjoining premises so used and as part of the business of the shop
  • selling things, or offering or exposing them for sale, as a rounds-man, for example, a milkman
  • the doing of anything authorised by regulations made under section 5 of the Police, Factories, etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916

The reference to trading as a news vendor above is a reference to trading where the only articles sold or exposed or offered for sale are newspapers or periodicals; and they are sold or exposed or offered for sale without a stall or receptacle for them or with a stall or receptacle for them which does not exceed one metre in length or width or two metres in height; occupy a ground area exceeding 0·25 square metres; or stand on the carriageway of a street.

Street trading policy

You can read more about Street Trading Consents in our policy.

Apply for Street Trading Consent

Street trading covers many different trading styles. The council issues the following types of Consent:

  • Annual Fixed Location Trading Consent - Trading from a single unit at a fixed location
  • Annual Mobile Trading Consent - Trading from a single unit on a set route or routes i.e. ice-cream van
  • Daily Fixed/Mobile Trading Consent - Trading from a single unit at a fixed location, or from a set route on a specified given day
  • Event Consent - Trading by multiple traders forming part of an over-riding event i.e. village fetes
  • Host Premises Consent - Trading on private land (not falling within the definition of a Highway), that forms part of another business i.e. the car park of a public house. Applications must be made by the primary business user
  • Pop-up Food Trader Registrations - Food traders wishing to trade within the district from premises holding Host Premises Consent

The application forms for each type of trading consent can be found below, and each contains information on which supporting documents need to be supplied with the application.

Completed paper forms should be returned with the relevant fee (PDF) to:

The Licensing Department, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4EE.

Before completing your application, your attention is drawn to our Privacy and Data Retention policy.

Alternatively, we are happy to receive electronic copies of application forms and supporting documentation via Please ensure you submit PDF files only.

What happens next?

It is in the public interest that East Cambridgeshire District Council must process your application before it can be authorised. If you have not received a response to your application within a reasonable period, please contact us via telephone: 01353 665555. 


All Consent holders are expected to comply with the conditions of their Consent, and therefore, non-compliance may lead to the Consent being withdrawn. In order to protect the rights of all Consent holders and in order to protect members of the public from illegal or so-called "rogue traders" the Council will robustly enforce against all persons found trading without the necessary permission.