VAT for Charities

 As a charity you do not pay VAT when you buy some goods and services (external link)

Community amateur sports clubs (CASCs) do not qualify for the same VAT reliefs (external link) as charities. 

How to Get VAT Relief 

You must prove to the person who’s selling the goods or services to you that you are eligible for relief (external link). You do not need to be registered for VAT. 

When You Must Register for VAT 

You must register for VAT if your charity’s VAT taxable turnover (external link) (the total value of everything you sell that is not exempt from VAT) is more than £85,000.  

You can choose to register if it is below this, for example if you want to reclaim VAT on your supplies.  

Get Help With VAT  

Contact HM Revenue and Customs (external link)(HMRC) if you have questions about VAT for your charity. 

See Also: