Employing Someone to Work in your Home

You are usually considered the employer of a nanny, housekeeper, gardener or anyone else who works in your home if both: 

This means you have certain responsibilities, like meeting the employee’s rights and deducting the right tax. 

There are special rules for au pairs (external link), who are not usually considered workers or employees. 

Carers and Personal Assistants 

You are classed as an employer if you pay a carer or personal assistant directly, even if you get money from your local council (‘direct payments (external link)’) or the NHS to pay for them. 

Ask your local council (external link) about organisations that can help with your employer responsibilities, such as recruiting and paying your carer. 

Employees’ Rights 

Anyone you employ must: 

If they meet the eligibility requirements, they’re also entitled to things like:  

Tax and Employing People at Home  

You must: 

If you employ a nanny and you are eligible for Tax-Free Childcare, you can use your childcare account (external link) to pay their Income Tax and National Insurance contributions. 

You cannot ask your employee to become self-employed. 

Your Employee’s Car 

There are also rules around:  

See Also: