Criminal Record Checks

Who can check your criminal record 

Employers can check your criminal record no matter what role you apply for. This is called a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.  

For certain roles an employer can request a more detailed DBS check, for example if you will be working with children or in healthcare. 

Your employer can still request a basic check if they cannot get a more detailed check for your role. 

Types of check 

The types of DBS check are:  

  • a basic check, which shows unspent convictions and conditional cautions  
  • a standard check, which shows any spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings  
  • an enhanced check, which shows the same as a standard check plus any information held by local police that’s considered relevant to the role 
  • an enhanced check with barred lists, which shows the same as an enhanced check plus whether you’re on the list of people barred from doing the role 

Check your own record 

Your employer can ask you to request your own basic check (external link)

You can then show it to the person you will be working for. 

If you are self-employed 

You can only request a basic check for yourself.  

You can ask an organisation you are working with to get a standard, enhanced or enhanced with barred lists check for you, where the role is eligible (external link)

If you have lived abroad 

The check will not cover any time you lived outside the UK. The person requesting the check may ask you: