Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)


You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.

ESA gives you:

  • money to help with living costs if you’re unable to work 
  • support to get back into work if you’re able to 
You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed or unemployed.

If you get Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance

You might be moved to ESA if you’ve been claiming Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance. You’ll be told what you need to do and how much ESA you’ll get.

See also:

For further information: