Compensation for victims of violent crime

You might be able to claim compensation if you were the victim of a violent crime. This includes if: 

  • you were injured 

  • a close relative died 

  • you saw the crime happen to a loved one (or were there immediately afterwards) 

  • you paid for the funeral of a person who died 

You usually have to claim within 2 years of the crime. The crime must be reported to the police before you apply. 

It does not cost anything to apply. 

If you were injured trying to stop a crime  

You might also be able to claim compensation if you were taking a ‘justified and exceptional’ risk trying to stop a crime. For example somebody was in danger and it was not a situation that you were trained to deal with. 

Get practical and emotional support 

Visit Victim and Witness information if you are in England and Wales. 

You can also get help and advice from your trade union. 

See also: 

For further information on compensation for victims of violent crime see GOV.UK's website.