Going into hospital if you get benefits
You must tell the office that pays your benefit as soon as possible if you:
- go into hospital for one night or longer
- go into a care home or rehabilitation centre for one night or longer
- will miss a Jobcentre Plus appointment because you’re in hospital or have a medical appointment
A friend or relative can call for you.
Your claim might be stopped or reduced if you do not report a hospital stay.
What you need to tell DWP
You need to give your:
- full name
- date of birth
- National Insurance number
- partner’s details (if they’re on your claim)
If you’re calling about a friend or relative, you need to give your name and contact details too.
You need to give details about your stay in hospital, including:
- the exact date you went into hospital
- the exact date you left hospital (if you’ve left hospital)
- the name of the hospital you were in
- the name of the ward you were on (if you know it)
- if you moved between hospitals
- any other hospital stays in the last 28 days
- where you were discharged to, for example your home or a care home
How to report
Who you tell depends on which benefits you get. You might need to report your change to more than one organisation if you get more than one benefit.
Report a hospital stay of 24 hours or longer using your Universal Credit online account or contact the Universal Credit helpline.
Call the Pension Service helpline if you get one or more of:
- State Pension
- Pension Credit
- Attendance Allowance
Call the Attendance Allowance helpline if you only get Attendance Allowance.
Call the Disability Service Centre if you get:
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
Low or no income benefits
Call Jobcentre Plus if you get:
- Income Support
- Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
Tell your local council about a hospital stay if you get Housing Benefit.
Tell the Child Benefit Office if your child goes into hospital or ‘residential care’ for more than 12 weeks.
Call the helpline for each benefit to report a hospital stay if you get: