Probation means you are serving your sentence but you are not in prison.
You could be put on probation because:
- You are serving a community sentence
- you have been released from prison on licence or on parole
While on probation, you may have to:
- do unpaid work
- complete an education or training course
- get treatment for addictions, like drugs or alcohol
- have regular meetings with an ‘offender manager’
- Meetings with your offender manager
- If you break the rules of your probation
- Being taken back to prison
- Ask to be released again on probation
For further information on Probation, see GOV.UK's website.