Homes without basic security features are five times more likely to burgled than homes with security. We are committed to reducing burglary in East Cambridgeshire and advise residents to follow these simple steps to reduce the chances of becoming a victim:
- Lock doors, windows, side gates and outbuildings every time you leave your house, even if you are just out in the garden.
- Secure bikes by locking them to an immovable object inside a locked shed or garage.
- Store high value items, such as jewellery and passports, in a properly secured safe or bank vault.
See our information on lock snapping for more information about locks.
Hide items from view
- Keep all keys out of sight and away from letterboxes.
- Keep ladders and tools stored away.
- Remove valuables from the view of ground floor windows.
- At Christmas, do not leave presents where they can be seen through windows.
- Do not advertise expensive electrical item purchases by leaving the packaging out. Make sure your packaging is flattened and placed within your recycling bin, or take your flattened cardboard to your local waste recycling centre.
Install home security
- Install a visible burglar alarm.
- Have good outdoor lighting, or motion sensor security lights.
- Install a driveway alarm, which acts as a deterrent to protect your home perimeter.
- Plant spiky plants in vulnerable areas.
When you leave your property for a long period of time, for example when you go on holiday, there are some extra precautions you can take to prevent your home from looking empty, such as:
- Asking a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your home.
- Think about subscribing to your local neighbourhood watch.
- Leaving radios or lights on, or on a timer, to make your home appear occupied.
- Avoiding posting holiday plans or movements on social media.
- Cancelling milk or newspaper deliveries before you go away to avoid a build-up.