Apply for a Transcript of a Court or Tribunal Hearing

You can apply for a transcript of a court or tribunal hearing if the hearing was recorded. The court can refuse to provide part or all of a transcript (for example, if details of the hearing are confidential).

Where hearings are recorded

Hearings at the Crown Court and at civil and family courts are always recorded. Tribunal hearings are not always recorded. Contact the tribunal (external link) to find out if the hearing was recorded.

Hearings at magistrates’ courts are never recorded.

How to apply

Download and complete form EX107 (external link) and read the guidance notes.

Return the form by email or post to the court or tribunal (external link) where the hearing took place.

How long it takes

You can choose how soon you’d like the transcript to arrive from the options on the form.

Hearings at the Court of Appeal Criminal Division or the Administrative Court

For a transcript of a judgement:

Download and fill in form EX107 email or post it to the transcriber using the details in section 2d of the guidance notes.

For any other proceedings, complete form EX107 and submit this to the court.

Hearings at the Court of Appeal Civil Division

You can usually get a free transcript by contacting the British and Irish Legal Information Institute (BAILII) (external link).

How much it costs

You will usually have to pay for the transcript unless the court believes there are special circumstances (for example, you need the transcript urgently but cannot afford to pay).

The final cost varies depending on the transcript’s size, whether it’s a new transcript or a copy, and other factors. Read the form EX107 guidance notes (external link) for full details.

Applying for a free transcript

For civil and family court hearings:

Download and fill in form EX105, send it with form EX107 to the court or tribunal.

For Crown Court and tribunal hearings, contact the court to apply.


Contact the transcriber first if you are not satisfied with the transcript or the service you have received.

If you feel they have not dealt with your complaint properly, contact HM Courts and Tribunal Service (HMCTS).

Court Reporting and Transcription

HMCTS Operational Performance and Contracted Services

Post Point 6.10, 102 Petty France, London, SW1H 9AJ