Get Help To pay Court and Tribunal Fees

You might be able to get money off your court or tribunal fees (external link) if you have little or no savings, are on certain benefits or have a low income.

There are different ways of applying for help with fees with the Court of Protection (external link) and the First-Tier Immigration and Asylum Tribunal (external link).



You need to have less than £3,000 in savings and investments if you are under 61.

You can have up to £16,000 in savings if your fee is between £1,000 and £10,000, or if you or your partner are 61 and over.


You need to be on a low income, or on one of the following benefits:

  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support
  • Universal Credit (and you earn less than £6,000 a year)
  • Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)
  • Scottish Civil Legal Aid (not Advice and Assistance, or Advice by Way of Representation)


If you are not on any of those benefits, you need to earn less than £1,085 a month before tax if you are single, or £1,245 if you have a partner.

You can earn an extra £245 on top of that for each child you have. For example, if you have a partner and 2 children you have to earn less than £1,735 to be eligible for help with court fees.

Check your eligibility for help with court fees (external link) before you apply.

You might not need to answer all the questions, depending on your circumstances, get help with court fees (external link).

Other ways to apply

You can apply by filling in a paper form (external link) instead.