Local Housing Allowance

Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is the maximum rent that your Housing Benefit can be based on if you rent your home from a private landlord.
It is based on:
  • Where you live in the UK
  • The number of bedrooms that is considered appropriate for your household (this might not be the same as the number of bedrooms you have).
  • Whether you have any non- dependents living with you.
Local Housing Allowance only applies to people renting from private landlords.  You will not be affected if:
  • You rent you home form a Registered Social Landlord e.g. Housing Association.
  • You rent your home form a charity or voluntary body who also provide you with support, counselling or supervision.
  • You have a registered tenancy which started before 15 January 1989
  • You live in a houseboat, caravan or hostel.
  • A substantial part of your rent pays for board and lodging
  • You have a shared ownership.