Support for Mortgage Interest


If you’re a homeowner, you might be able to get help towards interest payments on: 
  • your mortgage 
  • loans you’ve taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home 
This help is called Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI). 
It’s paid as a loan, which you’ll need to repay with interest when you sell or transfer ownership of your home. 
You usually need to be getting, or treated as getting, a qualifying benefit to get SMI. 
There’s no guarantee that you’ll get SMI for a mortgage or loan you take out. 

What you cannot use SMI for 

SMI cannot help you pay: 
  • the amount you borrowed - only the interest on your mortgage 
  • anything towards insurance policies you have 
  • missed mortgage payments (arrears) 

See also: 

For further information: