If you’re a homeowner, you might be able to get help towards interest payments on:
- your mortgage
- loans you’ve taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home
This help is called Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI).
It’s paid as a loan, which you’ll need to repay with interest when you sell or transfer ownership of your home.
You usually need to be getting, or treated as getting, a qualifying benefit to get SMI.
There’s no guarantee that you’ll get SMI for a mortgage or loan you take out.
What you cannot use SMI for
SMI cannot help you pay:
- the amount you borrowed - only the interest on your mortgage
- anything towards insurance policies you have
- missed mortgage payments (arrears)
- What you'll get
- How to apply
- Repaying your loan
- Get other financial help with your housing costs