Get an Advance

Get an advance on your first benefit payment 

You may be able to get an advance on your first benefit payment if you’re in urgent financial need. 

You usually pay it back through your benefits. You do not have to pay interest. 

You can ask for an advance if you’ve recently applied for:

  • Universal Credit 

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) 

  • Income Support 

  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 

  • Carer’s Allowance 

  • Pension Credit 

  • State Pension 

You’ll be told when you’ll be paid and how much. You’ll usually be paid on the same day or the next working day. It’ll be paid into your bank or Post Office account. 

How to apply  

Apply online (external link) by visiting GOV.UK.