National Insurance Credits

You may be able to get National Insurance credits if you are not paying National Insurance, for example when you are claiming benefits because you are ill or unemployed. 

Credits can help to fill gaps in your National Insurance record, to make sure you qualify for certain benefits including the State Pension. 

Check your National Insurance record (external link) for gaps. 

Get Credits 

Check if you are eligible (external link) for credits - you will either get them automatically or you will have to apply for them. 

You get one of these types of credits if you are eligible: 

  • Class 1 - these count towards your State Pension and may help you qualify for some other benefits, for example contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance 
  • Class 3 - these count towards your State Pension only 

You can transfer your credits (external link) that you got from registering for Child Benefit to your spouse or partner who is living with you if you have paid a year’s National Insurance contributions (called a ‘qualifying year (external link)’ for State Pension). 

Check Your Credits 

Check your National Insurance record (external link) to find out if you have credits. If you applied for credits but they are wrong on your record, contact the office where you applied. 

Call the helpline (external link) if you have questions about National Insurance credits. 

See Also: