What happens if your child gets in trouble with the Police

You can be held responsible if your child repeatedly gets into trouble or if you do not take reasonable steps to control their behaviour. 

You could be: 

  • asked to attend a parenting programme  

  • asked to sign a Parenting Contract 

  • given a Parenting Order by a court 

Each of these supports you in stopping your child from getting in trouble again.  

They are usually voluntary but you might be told by a court that you have to do one or more of them.  

Parenting programmes  

Parenting programmes are run by the local youth offending team and other youth justice organisations or charities.  

Each programme will be different depending on your circumstances and what is best for your child.  

Parenting Contracts  

This is a voluntary agreement signed by you, your child and someone from the local youth offending team.  

You all agree to play a part in helping your child stay away from crime.  

You could be given a Parenting Order if you refuse to sign it.  

Parenting Orders  

These are given out by the court. It sets out things you and your child must or must not do.  

They can last for up to 12 months.  

Getting a Parenting Order does not mean you get a criminal record, but you can be taken to court if you do not obey the order.  

Further information on What happens if your child gets in trouble with the Police, can be found on GOV.UK'S website.