Separation and Divorce

Visas when you Separate or Divorce  

Tell the Home Office 

You must tell the Home Office when you divorce or separate from your partner if your visa is based on your relationship. 

You must then either apply for a new visa or leave the UK. 

Your visa is based on your relationship if you have permission to stay in the UK for a limited time as: 

The same rules apply if your ex-partner’s visa is based on your relationship (for example they are your dependant or you are their ‘sponsor’). 

How to tell the Home Office 

Write a letter to the Home Office to tell them the relationship has ended - include your and your ex-partner’s: 

  • name 

  • date of birth 

  • address 

  • passport number 

  • Home Office reference number (you will find it on letters sent from the Home Office) 

If you or your ex-partner have children in the UK, you must also include: 

  • their names and dates of birth 

  • names of their parents or guardians, and who they live with 

  • how much time they spend with you or your ex-partner 

  • how much child maintenance or financial help you give each other 

  • details of any family court cases you are involved in 

Forms you must send with your letter 

Include one of these forms with your letter - use the: 

  • public statement if you do not want the Home Office to tell your ex-partner any details from your letter 

  • consent form if you are happy for the Home Office to tell your ex-partner details from your letter 

Both forms give the Home Office permission to contact your ex-partner at the address you give. 

Where to send your letter: 

UK Visas and Immigration 

Marriage Curtailment Team 

7th Floor 

The Capital 

New Hall Place 


L3 9PP 

See also: 

For Further Information on separation and divorce see GOV.UK's website.