Widowed Parent's Allowance


You may get Widowed Parent’s Allowance (WPA) if all the following apply:
  • your husband, wife or civil partner died before 6 April 2017
  • you are under State Pension age
  • you are entitled to Child Benefit for at least one child and your late husband, wife or civil partner was their parent
  • your late husband, wife or civil partner paid National Insurance contributions, or they died as a result of an industrial accident or disease
You may also claim WPA if you’re pregnant and your husband has died, or you are pregnant after fertility treatment and your civil partner has died.
If your husband, wife or civil partner died on or after 6 April 2017 you may be eligible for Bereavement Support Payment instead.

You cannot claim WPA if you:

  • were divorced from your husband, wife or civil partner when they died
  • remarry or are living with another person as if you are married to them or as if you have formed a civil partnership
  • were over State Pension age when you were widowed or became a surviving civil partner – you may be able to get extra State Pension
  • are in prison

Other bereavement benefits

You may also be eligible for:
You do not have to apply more than once - you’ll be considered for all bereavement benefits when you apply for one.

If you live abroad

Contact the International Pension Centre to find out if you can claim if you’ve moved abroad.
International Pension Centre
Telephone: +44 191 21 87608
Department for Work and Pensions
Bereavement and widows’ benefits
International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
NE98 1BA
You must include your:
  • full name
  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number (if you know it)

See also:

For further information: