Pay Class 2 National Insurance

You make Class 2 National Insurance contributions (external link) if you are self-employed to qualify for benefits like the State Pension. Most people pay the contributions as part of their Self Assessment tax bill (external link)

If you do not pay through Self Assessment 

You do not pay through Self Assessment if you are any of the following: 

  • an examiner, moderator, invigilator or person who set exam questions 
  • running a businesses involving land or property 
  • a minister of religion who does not receive a salary or stipend 
  • living abroad and paying voluntary Class 2 contributions 
  • a person who makes investments - but not as a business and without getting a fee or commission 
  • a non-UK resident who is self-employed in the UK 
  • working abroad 

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will send you a payment request by the end of October - call the newly self-employed helpline (external link) if you do not get one. 

You can no longer pay at the Post Office.

How Long it Takes 

Make sure your payment reaches HMRC by the deadline. The time you need to allow depends on how you pay. 

Same or next day 

3 working days 

21 working days 

If the deadline falls on a weekend or bank holiday, make sure your payment reaches HMRC on the last working day before it (unless you are paying by Faster Payments (external link)). 

If you Miss the Deadline 

You might have to pay more to fill the gap in your National Insurance record. HMRC will write to you to tell you how much you need to pay. 

See Also: