Visa to Pass Through the UK in Transit
You might need a visa to pass through the UK in transit (on your way to another country).
Check if you need one before you apply.
To get a transit visa you must prove that:
- you will be in transit to another country, with enough funds and the intention to travel on
- you can enter that country
- the only purpose of your visit to the UK is transit
You do not need a transit visa if you:
- are from the European Economic area (EEA) or Switzerland
- have an EEA family permit
- have a Home Office travel document, for example you are a refugee or stateless person
- have a Standard Visitor visa
- have a Marriage Visitor visa
Types of Transit Visa
The visa you need depends on if you are going through UK border control when you arrive in the UK.
Your airline can tell you if you’ll go through border control.
You are not going through UK border control
Apply for a Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) if you will be changing flights in the UK and will not be going through UK border control.
You are going through UK border control
Apply for a Visitor in Transit visa if you will be going through UK border control but leaving the UK within 48 hours.
You will need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa if:
- you need to stay longer in the UK
- you can prove you need to frequently pass through the UK over a longer period
- Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) - £35
- Visitor in Transit visa - £64
The cost may vary slightly depending on which country you are in.
For Further Information: