Electronic Travel Authorisation

You can get an electronic travel authorisation (ETA) instead of a visa if you are a national of Kuwait, Oman, Qatar or the United Arab Emirates. 

An ETA lets you visit the UK for up to six months for tourism, business, study or medical treatment. If you are visiting for another reason, check if you need a visa instead (external link).

You must apply between three months and 48 hours before you travel. 

To apply you need:  

  • your current passport 
  • an address in the UK where you will stay 
  • details of your journey, including departure and arrival dates and times 

Before you apply 

You must enter your personal details so they match your passport exactly. This includes any punctuation, for example spaces, hyphens, apostrophes or full stops. 

Your travel details must also be exactly right. 

You will not be allowed to travel if your personal or travel details are wrong. 

Each person travelling needs their own ETA, including children. 

If someone applies on your behalf, they must enter their own contact details as well as yours. 

After you apply 

You will get an email within 24 hours with a link to download your ETA.

Show your ETA when you travel to the UK. You can print it or show it on an electronic device, such as a phone or tablet.

You cannot use your ETA to: 

  • work in the UK  
  • get married or register a civil partnership 

Your ETA will only let you enter the UK once. You must get another ETA or a visa if you want to enter the UK again.

Changes to your travel plans  

You must change your travel details on your ETA if you:

  • decide to travel at a different time 
  • leave from or arrive at a different airport, port or train station than planned 
  • arrive in the UK more than eight hours later than planned 

You will need your ETA number and your date of birth to change your details.