Stopping Industrial Action - Citizens' Rights

You have the right to stop industrial action if it is unlawful and affects goods or services being provided to you. You must be acting as a citizen, ie not representing a company.

The industrial action must either be likely to:

  • prevent or have prevented you from receiving any goods or services produced by a company 

  • lower or have lowered the quality of those goods and services 

This is called the ‘citizen’s right to prevent disruption’.

Apply to the courts for an injunction, which orders:

  • the trade union to stop organising the action 

  • those taking action to stop 

You can get legal advice if you want to apply for an injunction.

Further information on stopping industrial action: citizen's rights can be found on GOV.UK's website.