Consumer Rights

The law protects your consumer rights when you buy goods or services. Find out who to contact for consumer protection advice. 

You can get help if you are treated unfairly or when things go wrong. This includes problems with: 

  • credit and store cards 

  • faulty goods 

  • counterfeit goods 

  • poor service 

  • contracts 

  • builders 

  • rogue traders 

You can also get information about refunds, repairs and making a complaint from Which? (external link)

Complain to an ombudsman 

An ombudsman is a person who investigates complaints about organisations for free. They may be able to help you resolve a complaint without going to court. 

There are different ombudsmen for different industries. 

You can use the Ombudsman Association (external link) to find the right ombudsman for your complaint.  

Money advice   

You can get free, independent help from the Money Advice Service (external link) about anything to do with money, for example managing debt. 

Buying from an EU country

Contact the UK European Consumer Centre (external link) for help with problems buying from an EU country. 

There may be changes to your consumer rights (external link) from 1 January 2021.