If you are thinking of starting up a food business, you may wish to check out the Food Standards Agency's starting a food business advice (external link). Or advice for charity food providers (external link).
You may also find the following information helpful:
Before you start you need to establish if you need certain permissions or licences:
- If you are changing the use of a building you may require Planning Permission (external link)
- If you are selling alcohol or providing food late at night you will require a Licence
- If you wish to trade on any of Ely’s markets then you will need to speak to Ely Markets (external link)
If your business is based within East Cambridgeshire you will need to register at least 28 days before you start trading.
Approval is needed for a small number of premises/practices/food. Please email East Cambs Customer Services if you think this applies to you before completing the form.
To register, please complete our online form:
Food handlers need to be adequately trained in food hygiene (Level Two Award in Food Safety in Catering is recommended). This can be done via online courses.
Food Hygiene Training Providers, please note this is an introduction only and not a recommendation.
Written Food Safety Management System
A food business needs a documented food safety management system. You can comply with this requirement if you complete and put in place the Food Standards Agency, Safer Food Better Business (SFBB) Catering pack (external link)
Your premises must be in good repair and condition and meet minimum standards, including adequate hand-washing facilities; hygienic work surfaces and storage facilities.
You need to provide allergen information for all of the foods you produce. For more information please see: Allergen Resources (external link).
Further sources of information:
- Food Standards Agency (external link)
- Trading Standards Business Companion (external link)
- Business Waste Collection
- Cambridge Fire and Rescue Service (external link)
- The Health and Safety Executive (external link)
- Building Control (external link)
- Food Safety Business Advice
- UK Hospitality Catering Advice (external link)