Get support as a victim of crime

Get free support and advice if you have been a victim of crime. 

Victim and Witness Information 

Use the Victim and Witness Information website to find support in your local area, including: 
  • emotional support; 
  • counselling; 
  • finding somewhere safe to stay; 
  • finding someone to speak for you and get the help you need; 
  • specialist support for crimes, including domestic abuse and sexual violence. 

Victim Contact Scheme 

You will be asked if you want to join the Victim Contact Scheme if both of the following are true: 
  • you are the victim of a violent or sexual crime; 
  • the offender is sentenced to 12 months or more. 
If you join, you will be given a Victim Liaison Officer who will tell you: 
Tell your Victim Liaison Officer whenever you change your contact details, so they can keep you updated. 
If you decide not to join or you were not asked, you can still join if you change your mind later by sending an email to the Victim Contact Scheme:
Read about your rights after a crime to find out what you are entitled to. 

Use the restorative justice scheme 

Contact your local victim support organisation, police force, or probation officer if you would like to:  
  • meet the offender 
  • talk about how your life has been affected 
  • get answers to your questions and an apology 
Find out more about restorative justice

If you are contacted by a prisoner 

Contact the HM Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS) Victims Helpline if you get unwanted letters, phone calls, texts or messages from a prisoner. 
You can also contact the helpline if you are worried about someone being released from prison. 
HM Prison and Probation Service Victims Helpline 
Telephone: 0300 060 6699 
Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm