Access to Work

Get support in work if you have a disability or health condition 


If you are disabled or have a physical or mental health condition that makes it hard for you to do your job, you can: 

  • talk to your employer about changes they must make in your workplace 

  • get extra help from Access to Work, including mental health support 

Talk to your employer about changes they must make in your workplace  

Your employer must make certain changes (known as ‘reasonable adjustments’) to make sure you’re not substantially disadvantaged when doing your job. These could include changing your working hours or providing equipment to help you do your job. 

You should talk to your employer about reasonable adjustments before you apply for Access to Work. 

Get help from Access to Work 

If the help you need at work is not covered by your employer making reasonable adjustments, you may be able to get help from Access to Work. 

You need to have a paid job, or be about to start or return to one.  

You will be offered support based on your needs, which may include a grant to help cover the costs of practical support in the workplace.  

An Access to Work grant can pay for: 

  • special equipment, adaptations or support worker services to help you do things like answer the phone or go to meetings 

  • help getting to and from work 

You might not get a grant if you already get certain benefits. 

The money does not have to be paid back and will not affect your other benefits. 

Get mental health support 

You can apply for Access to Work to get mental health support, or contact a Mental Health Support Service provider directly. 

See also:  

For further information: