Rent arrears

It is essential you protect YOUR TENANCY and you should deal with rent issues immediately 

When you have money problems, you should contact your landlord very quickly. You can also contact Housing Options at East Cambridgeshire District Council, who deal with these issues and can talk to your landlord on your behalf. Officers will be able to advise you of your rights and in certain circumstances they can negotiate an affordable payment plan with your landlord. They can also attend court with you if you have a possession hearing.
Most landlords are committed to helping tenants who are struggling. 
If your landlord does not hear from you or does not know why you have not made a payment, they are more likely to start legal action for repossession of your home. 

What are the options for dealing with your rent arrears? 

There are a number of ways we can help you go through this difficult situation. 
  • Maximising your income 

    • The Housing Options Officer will help by checking that you are claiming all of the welfare benefits that you are entitled to. 

    • We can help you look at options to increase your income and reduce your expenditure. 

  • Clearing your rent arrears by prioritising your debts 

    • The Housing Options Officer will look at a basic income and expenditure statement and use this to negotiate an affordable payment plan with your landlord. 
  • Capitalising the Arrears 

    • You can ask your landlord to add your arrears to the rent. This will increase the monthly payment but will clear the arrears. 
  • Downsizing Your Home 

    • It may be an option to downsize your home to one with a lower rent.

Further Advice

Shelter (external link)

Tel: 0808 800 4444
Free housing advice helpline

The Money Advice Service (external link)

Tel: 0300 500 5000
You can contact them from Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 8:00pm and Saturday from 9:00am to 1:00pm

National Debt line (external link)

Tel: 0808 808 4000
The line is available on Monday to Friday 9:00am - 9:00pm. Saturday 9:30am-1:00pm
This service offers practical advice on dealing with debt including self-help packs, sample letters to creditors and personal budget sheets.

Step change Debt Charity (external link)

Tel: 0800 138 1111 
Monday to Friday (8:00am to 8:00pm) Saturday (8:00 am to 4:00pm)
StepChange Debt Charity is a registered charity offering free, confidential advice and support to anyone who is worried about debt.
There is also an online Debt Remedy tool: This asks you a series of questions about your household, income and expenditure and then provides you with a Debt Remedy tailored to your personal circumstances.

Financial Ombudsman Service (external link)

Tel: 0300 123 9 123 or 0800 023 4567
If you have a complaint that you cannot resolve with your lender, the Financial Ombudsman Service may be able to help.

We want to listen we want to help

Contact us: 
Tel: 01353 665555